To reduce the squeeze on the city’s buses and trains, the Mayor of London wanted to increase the number of passengers using the river as a means of commuting. By the end of 2014, with investment in new routes, infrastructure and fleet expansion, River Bus passenger numbers had increased to 3.8 million.
Read on to find out how Westbase.io worked with Cubic Transportation to modernise the River Bus payment system, or download your full copy now.
To create a new and familiar contactless payment solution to encourage London’s commuters to use the River Bus, a service operated by MBNA Thames Clippers.
Westbase.io provided the Sierra Wireless AirLink ES450 and Panorama LPMM antenna for:
- Persistent and reliable 4G cellular connectivity
- Remote monitoring, management and troubleshooting
- Long life-span of the AirLink ES450 matches that of the payment validator unit
- Secure and PCI compliant
- Distribution support and services that met the client’s needs
- Easy and rapid deployment of the solution
- 76 new contactless payment validators have been rolled out to over 20 piers to-date
- London’s River Bus has seen an improved pre-boarding experience and flow of passenger traffic due to the instant nature of the contactless and Oyster card payments
- Around one half of the River Bus passengers now use either Oyster or Contactless to pay as you go
- Remote management and monitoring capabilities mean the live environment can be sustained easily by Cubic Transportation, as well as ensuring low operational costs
“To encourage use of the familiar Oyster and contactless payments for River Bus journeys, we had to create a device that was efficient, secure and reliable. The connectivity provided by the Sierra Wireless device delivered on all of these; our testing and the results seen since the rollout have more than proved it to be the right choice.”
– Curtis Wheaton, Senior Project Manager, Cubic Transportation Systems.
Download the Full Case Study
Find out how Westbase.io worked with Cubic Transportation to modernise the River Bus payment system.